Point; The diagnostic teacher shifts between immersion in the reading event and distancing herself from it in order to critically analyze the experience.
Response; This technique is something that I do, and probably other teachers do without even knowing it. I teach a new concept and then step back and watch the students put the new teaching to use. For example after reading to the children I will ask them to participate in an activity based upon the reading drawing a picture, or re-telling. I can determine from the activity whether they understood key points of the story. It allows me to analyze if my instructional method is working or if I have to try a different method.
Point; The diagnostic teacher reflects about her instruction before, during, and after she teaches.
Response; I plan for a new lesson by reflection on the various needs and abilities of my students. I think about the design of the plan, is this a process I have used in the past? If so, was the response good? Which students did not respond well and why? I think about how I can modify the plan so that the entire group can benefit.
During the instruction I am evaluating if my process is working, and make adjustments where necessary.
During the planning stage, I anticipate where my students might struggle and be prepared with alternatives. There is nothing worse than a class full of blank stares and have nothing to fall back on. Based upon prior experience, a teacher must anticipate as much as possible and be prepared to scrap pieces or sometimes all of the plan.
After instruction I reflect on what went well and what did not, who responded and who did not. How could I modify the plan so everyone benefits? This is a constant process of modifying and honing. No lesson plan will be perfect because the dynamic of the class is always changing.
Point; The diagnostic teacher plans for successful reading experiences by selecting authentic texts that are familiar and interesting and have characters who share similar experiences with readers.
Response; I find that reflecting on the students prior experiences an interesting activity during a reading lesson. I have incorporated this technique in quite a few learning scenarios, getting dressed, go outside, going on a picnic, going camping, etc. Students will reflect on their own experiences and talk about things they had to do to prepare and what they took with them. Those that may not have ever been camping or on a picnic get caught up in the excitement and contribute as well. We then continue to read to find out what the characters in the story did to prepare to go outside, camping or on a picnic. I like to use the "Froggy" books authored by Jonathon London.
Point; Research shows that teachers treat their less proficient readers differently from struggling readers, however when working with less proficient readers, teachers often allow more interruptions, interrupt struggling readers at the point of error, and use more word-level prompting.
Response; I think that teachers allow their proficient readers to look for meaning in their reading. If a word is unfamiliar, the proficient reader will look for meaning within the context of the literature. I have fallen into the trap of enabling my less than proficient readers by jumping in to help them pronounce a word, or explaining the meaning of the word. This "enabling" is not truly enabling because it does not help them use strategies to find the meaning on their own. I have to focus on not jumping to their aid whenever I see them struggling.
Point; The diagnostic teacher creates a community by creating instructional conversations (Goldberg, 1992-1993) and focuses on the social context. The diagnostic teacher creates an open setting where students and teachers talk about their ideas. The teachers believe that students have something to say that will benefit everyone in the community.
Response; I have seen writer's workshop completed that creates a community atmosphere. At the beginning of writer's workshop teachers get together with students and discuss specific writing lessons or needs. There is back and forth dialogue between students and teachers discussing the writing process/ideas. When students have completed a story they get together in a circle and openly share ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment