Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chapter 9 Learning Log

Point 1
Basal readers are anthologies of stories arranged by grade level, packaged along with instructional manuals, workbooks, etc.

Response
We start our workbooks with children as early as the age of 4. We have two sets of workbooks, one is a primary phonics set by Educators Publishing Service (EPS) and we have the readers to go along with them. When the students get to a certain page, the workbook stops them and instructs them to read a book. One problem we have with these workbooks is the pictures are inappropriate students of this age. For example, a picture of a cot or a dam, not many children at this age are familiar with what a dam is. So recently we changed our books to Get Ready for the Code. This is a primer for The Explode The Code series, by Nancy Hall. These books are more up to date but we do not have the readers to follow them. So the readers that we have now, do not go with the new workbooks.

Point 2
High interest, low-readability books are stories that would appeal to an older student but are written at an easier level to provide interesting stories that help improve literacy

Response
I think it’s a great idea to have these types of books. I think it is difficult to find books for older students that allow them to enjoy the story without struggling with vocabulary and language structures. I love how this chapter gives examples and websites to find these types of books.

Point 3
Predictable books have repeated language patterns that make them easier to read because of the repetition of words and language structures.

Response
We have many books in our classroom that our children love to read over and over. The teacher may read the book to the class and then it will go on the book shelf for students to select for elective reading. You would be amazed how quick the students pick up the repetitive wording. I often see them in the book corner reading to their friends. Most of the time these are students who can not even read yet, they just pick up the pattern. They love to read the stories again and again. An example on one of the books the children love is Brown Bear Brown Bear by Bill Martin.

Point 4
Interest is crucial in selecting books

Response
I agree with this. It is so hard for me to read a book that is not interesting. I may start to read, but think afterwards, “what did I just read”? A teacher has to have an abundance of reading material to meet the interest of students that are reading at different levels. Teachers should pay attention to what interests the students to make sure there is a variety of material on hand at all times.

Point 5
One of the best ways to determine interest is by letting the student choose the book. When students believe they can make choices about the books they read, they are more likely to be interested in the books and the activities.

Response

Children are no different than adults. If I have the opportunity to choose the reading material, I am going to select something of interest to me. If I am interested in the subject matter, I am more likely to take the initiative to read on my own and complete the follow up activities. Allowing students to select their own material promotes active engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment