Response; As a teacher in a multi-age Montessori classroom, literacy can be very basic such as learning the alphabet. We do not use formal assessment tools in the classroom. So, we do not spend valuable time evaluating our students. We teach our students through demonstrating and coaching, they learn from others as well.
Point; Struggling readers have difficulty reading because they do not have the ability to strategize. These readers decode words or use recall to read.
Response; I have a few struggling readers in my classroom. Two five year old student can read well, while three others struggle. The two that can read, read for meaning. They understand the text and can answer questions based on their reading. Their comprehension is amazing for such a young age. I question whether the other three are really struggling, they are in various stages of learning. Two know their site words, but this is simply memorization. They all know their letters and sounds. In this classroom, with one teacher and five students, you do have time to focus on their specific needs.
Point; A diagnostic teacher assesses students during the lesson and modifies the lesson to focus on what the students already know to help solve new problems.
Response; For example, if we do a lesson where the student has to use the moveable alphabet to find the letter that starts the word "pig", if the student has difficulty, you could move the student over to the sound chart where the letter and picture are available. Or you could introduce a new word "olive". The student may not be able to identify the beginning sound. But if I tell the student, that "o" is like "octopus", a word that has already been introduced to them (a picture that is on the sound chart), the student will know that "olive" falls under "o", like in "octopus".
Point; Texts that have word patterns allow students to predict what word may be coming next. This predictability promotes reading.
Response; This week I read "Here is the African Savannah" to my students. This reading was part of our lesson package for Africa. "Here is the African Savannah" has word patterns. This is a cumulative sing-song book, a writing style that can be seen in the story "The House that Jack Built". Within the first couple of pages, the students had the hang of it and could anticipate what was coming next and recognized the words on the following pages.
Point; A reader's belief in their own reading competency is connected to engagement and continued interest in reading. If they feel they are successful at reading, they will be more likely to make the choice to read.
Response; I have five kindergarten students that read at different levels. Since it is a small group, I have time to work with them individually. They are all working out of different workbooks, they are not aware that they are working at different levels. I do not have them working out of one workbook, where one might excel, and others might struggle. They feel successful at what they are working on, encouraging them to continue to read.
Although I know a little about it, I am wondering what makes a Montessori program different from a 'regular' multiage classroom setting. What effect does the Montessori program have on the reading program?
ReplyDeleteOne difference that I see is even in the story choice you mentioned. I think that it was interesting that you read a book about Africa and I think that it is so important (especially for your African American students) that they are exposed to different types of stories with different types of characters. However, I would have to think that most kindergardeners are not reading books about Africa! But again, I think that this is great!
Point:"A reader's belief in their own reading competency is connected to engagement and continued interest in reading. If they feel they are successful at reading, they will be more likely to make the choice to read."
ReplyDeleteI think that having different workbooks for the students is a great idea because the students would not know the levels of the other students. I just finnished my student teaching in 7th and 9th grade classrooms. I noticed that the student are at different levels and when we worked on worksheets some students finished early while other stuggled. I never seemed to find a worksheet that catered to everyone. I can really use this idea to help all my students.
Point; Struggling readers have difficulty reading because they do not have the ability to strategize.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this because all of the struggling readers I have had the opportunity to work with did not have enough strategies and skills to help them be successful. I think once they are struggling, the skills and strategies need to be introduced slowly and repetitively to them so they can really understand how to use them.
I like the comment made regarding the quote that said "A diagnostic teacher assesses students during the lesson and modifies the lesson to focus on what the students already know to help solve new problems." This proves two very important things i believe. First that building on a child's previous knowledge keeps the student engaged, excited and interested about the learning process as well as the fact that students must be shown or commended for the positive things that they are doing or have done. This once again will keep them interested in the learning/ reading activity.
ReplyDelete